After the rather smashing miniature N3 tube amplifier, Hong Kong’s Miniwatt have launched a new product – the Miniwatt N4. It’s a UAC2.0, async 32bit/192Khz all-in-one DAC and headphone amplifier.
Note the stitched leather extrusion – a nice way of acknowledging the rough and tumble of portability. It’s good to have an edge in this increasingly-crowded portable DAC/headphone space; especially in the wake of Audioquest’s Dragonfly and Meridian’s Explorer.
Here the skinny:
- USB 2.0 Async Mode (480 Mbits/sec), supports up to 32bits/192kHz
- Electrical Noise Immunity via USB Digital Link
- PCM1795 DAC with 32bits/192k – 123dB Dynamic Range
- LM4562 op-amp at analogue filter and driver stages
- Independent L and R channel circuit at output stage
- Digital volume attenuation (0 dB to –120 dB, 0.5db/step)
- USB-powered, no external power supply required
- Dimensions: 115mm (L) x 74mm (W) x 20mm (H)
- Finish: CNC silver powder coated aluminium panel with laser etching
But wait! See that coaxial connector marked ‘Digital’? That’s a digital output. The N4 can also be used as a USB-S/PDIF convertor.
The Miniwatt N4 can be purchased direct from the manufacturer for US$488.
Further information: www.miniwatt.com.hk